Global Alliance “Sustainable Peace and Prosperity for All”
International civil society platform that acts for the abolition of nuclear weapons toward the UN post-SDGs
The Hiroshima Organization for Global Peace (HOPe), together with international NGOs and others, established the Global Alliance “Sustainable Peace and Prosperity for All” as a civil society group to work for the abolition of nuclear weapons to be included as a goal in the next UN Sustainable Development Goals (post-SDGs) for the period after 2030.
[Organization Name] Global Alliance “Sustainable Peace and Prosperity for All”
[Abbreviation] Global Alliance, GASPPA
The Global Alliance, together with organizations involved in diverse fields such as the environment, human rights, and health, will rethink the issue of nuclear weapons from the perspective of sustainability and develop activities such as policy proposals and campaigns toward the year 2030.
Global Alliance “Sustainable Peace and Prosperity for All” is open for individuals and organizations to join. All that is required is to support the founding statement. Once you registered in this form, you will receive information of this Global Alliance through the mailing list.
With the aim of making the elimination of nuclear weapons one of the UN’s Sustainable development goals for 2030 onwards (post SDGs),we will raise the issue of nuclear weapons from the perspective of sustainability and urge the international community to take action.
２．Requirements for joining
All individuals and organizations that support the founding statement can join.
(1) We will frame the issue of nuclear weapons in terms of the impact on society, economy, environment, and many other areas from the perspective of sustainability, formulate and publish policy recommendations for raising the issue in the international community, and disseminate the information through campaign.
(2) We will establish a Group of Friends consisting of government officials involved in diplomatic negotiations and support its activities. Group members will encourage their respective governments to join the Group of Friends.
(3) In order to participate in international negotiations as one of the negotiating parties, we will apply for consultative status in the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC)and launch a new group in the “Major Groups and Other Stakeholders.”
(4) We will provide support from the civil society sector for“ An Agenda for Disarmament” and “Our Common Agenda” announced by the UN. Furthermore, we will lobby to ensure that the goal of eliminating nuclear weapons by 2045 is included in the “Agenda for Peace” to be formulated in the coming“ Summit of the Future” and becomes part of the global movement toward the next development goals.
Currently, 29 organizations from 13 countries in the world joined in this group.
Member organizations(April 4, 2022)
【Image of our works】
５．Visions and Challenges for the Future
Global Alliance works for the realization of the “Visions and Challenges for Transformation and Just Transition towards the Post-SDGs World”, which is proposed by HOPe.
(1) Regarding the “Visions and Challenges for Transformation and Just Transition towards the Post-SDGs World”
In addition to the conventional discussion on nuclear weapons from the aspects of “security and law” and “humanity and ethics,” we will rethink the issue from the perspective of “sustainability” and develop campaign activities to raise awareness of the need to include the perspective of “Sustainable Peace and Prosperity for All” in the discussion on the post-SDGs.
The Global Alliance will discuss the“post-nuclear weapon age and Sustainability Agenda and Vision for Transformation and Transition Toward Post-SDGs”from an international and cross-sectoral perspective and formulate proposals.
We will proceed with the formulation of proposals and campaign for the year 2023, the mid-year of the SDGs and the year in which the G7 summit is scheduled to be held in Japan.